All covered activity staff must successfully complete a Live Scan fingerprint-based background check.
If you are a third party operating a covered activity at USC, please refer to the tab below (“Third party background screening requirements”).
USC-sponsored covered activities:
The following information and procedures pertain to USC-sponsored or USC-affiliated covered activities only.
If any covered activity staff have completed and cleared a Live Scan background check to participate in a covered activity with USC in the past, they may not be required to complete it again and their eligibility (as well as the date on which they were deemed eligible) will reflect in your registration record. Note that Live Scan background checks completed for other organizations are not valid for USC’s purposes, as results cannot be shared with USC.
Live Scan instructions:
- Review the instructions for completing the Live Scan application form, which is the form you’ll need to bring with you when getting fingerprinted.
- Complete the prepopulated USC Live Scan application form and make 2 copies. Note that the pre-populated Live Scan application form cannot be used by third parties.
- To avoid paying fees out of pocket, make an appointment at the following Live Scan location:
- MR. Fingerprints located at 617 S Olive St. Ste 807 Los Angeles, CA 90014; or
- Attend free, on-campus fingerprinting sessions with a Live Scan operator which are occasionally scheduled by USC. If you have a large group (50+), we can help schedule a visit specifically for your covered activity staff when possible.
- Bring the completed application form and a government-issued ID, such as a U.S. Driver’s License, U.S. passport or foreign passport with U.S. visa, to the Live Scan location.
- In the event these options do not accommodate your staff, they may choose another location; however, please note that reimbursement may not cover all associated fees, and/or there may be a delay in receiving funds. For alternative Live Scan locations, including associated fees, refer to the California Department of Justice’s Live Scan locator tool.
- Confirm covered activity staff Live Scan results. Note that all covered activity staff information must be entered into your covered activity’s registration record in order for Human Resources to locate them and update their status – and for you to verify eligibility. Results must be reflected in your registration record at least 7 days prior to the start of the covered activity, in accordance with the Protecting Minors policy.
- Not received – DOJ has not yet provided USC with results
- Complete – Individual deemed eligible to work with minors
- Ineligible – Staff person deemed ineligible to work with minors
Out-of-state Live Scan
Live Scan background checks are generally completed in person in the state of California. If an out-of-state check is required, it is possible; however, the process requires extensive lead time (approximately two months). If sufficient lead time is available for the individual, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on completing a Live Scan out of state.
For more information about what Live Scan is, procedures, what the process entails, and why it is required, please refer to our FAQ which can be found on our Screening webpage.